The plant pathology research addresses a number of important issues, namely apple replant disease, the role of stress factors in bacterial diseases, and base line surveys to determine which fungi are infecting trees.
- Integrated Pest Management Group
To read more about these projects click on the title where you’ll be directed to the relevant Annual Report.
- Survey of stem canker pathogens on stone fruit propagation material and young stone fruit trees. (L Mostert and R van der Merwe)
- The role of stress factors in predisposing plum trees to invasion by bacterial pathogen Pseudomonas syringae pv. syringae. (T Coutinho, K Bophela and K Takalani)
- Management of apple replant disease using phosphonates. (A McLeod and M Nyoni)
- Survey of stem cankers and dieback symptoms of young apple trees and possible inoculum sources. (L Mostert, M Havenga and G Gatsi)
- Screening apple rootstocks for tolerance to Phytophthora crown rot. (A Vermeulen)