Current research addresses a number of themes; these include:
When considering research strategy, the workgroups always keep in mind the objectives of the postharvest research programme, which are the following:
- To increase the marketable tons of fruit delivered per ton of fruit loaded;
- To present clients all along the post-harvest value chain extending up to the consumer with a safe product of reliable, good quality;
- To reduce wastage and losses from defects and pathogens (see the crop protection programme for post-harvest pathology research);
- To increase efficiencies throughout the post-harvest value chain;
- To increase the sustainability of post-harvest practices;
- To reduce risk within the post-harvest value chain.